Psalm 18:1-2

I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:1-2


Sunday, September 9, 2012

To Serve

In church Sunday, the sermon was about being a servant, and about Christ's example in John 13.

" Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.  During supper, when the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him, Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands and that he had come from God and was going back to God, rose from supper.  He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist.  The he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciple's feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him."  John 13:1-5

I will not write a long commentary about this passage, though there is ample material, but I want to make a couple of points.

First, did you notice that Jesus, the One who knows all things and knows our hearts, washed Judas Iscariot's feet?  Did you get that?  Jesus, the Holy One, washed the feet of the man who was going to betray him.  We have a hard enough time washing the feet of those we like, much less someone who mildly annoys us.  But, the feet of someone we know will betray us?  I mean, it's one thing to offer forgiveness and to do good to someone after they have betrayed you.  Hard, yes.  But, perhaps, not as hard as showing mercy and love to someone before they betray you, knowing that even after your act of mercy they will still betray you.  Yet, Jesus sets the standard, is the example (John 13:15).  He humbles Himself; takes the position of a servant to Judas.  Can you just imagine the scene?  Christ, the Son of God, lowers Himself before Judas, removes his sandals, and washes all the dust and grime from his feet.  Then He takes the towel and dries the feet clean.  The same feet that will carry Judas into the presence of the high priest to trade the life of Christ for 30 pieces.  The same feet that will lead the soldiers and guards to the place in the garden where Jesus prays.  Christ washed Judas' feet.

How?  How could He do that?  How can we do that?  It is not possible.

With God all things are possible, and it is only in Christ that we can.  But that brings me to my second point.  This passage also gives us insight into how He could do it, and how we can too.  Just after we are told of Judas's intent to betray Jesus, we are told in verse 3 that Jesus KNEW that the Father had given all things unto Him, and that He was come from God and was going to God.  Did you catch that?  Jesus knew.  He knew who He was, where He was from, and where He was going.  He knew, no matter what Judas did, that would never change.  He is God's Son, and the Father's plan will be accomplished. He knew.

As can you and I.  Because I know who's I am, and where I am going, and who I am in Christ, I too can humble myself before those who would betray me.  My hope is not in them.  My identity is not in them.  My worth and God's plan are not determined by nor deterred by them.  I can serve because of who I belong to.  I can serve because He served.  "the servant is not greater than his master" John 13:16

No comments:

Post a Comment