Psalm 18:1-2

I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:1-2


Monday, September 24, 2012

The lifter up of my head

Books on CD are a huge hit around our house, and our car for that matter.  A couple of years ago, we took a trip to San Antonio, about a 6 hour drive.  Before we left, we went to the local library and checked out Molly: An American Girl.  It is about a young girl in small-town America during World War II whose father is a doctor stationed in England.  It was a hit!  I mean huge.  The kids were perfect for the whole six hour trip - it was awesome!!!

We have been listening to them ever since.  There is almost always one on somewhere in the house.  Warrior especially loves them because he can listen while he is building legos, or destroying an enemy army, or his sister's toys.

So, on our trip this weekend we took a couple of sets of CDs.  One of which was Addy: An American Girl.  

Addy is a slave with her mother, father, brother, and baby sister on a plantation in South Carolina (I think).  The books describe how Addy and her mother run away to Pennsylvania after her father and brother are sold to another plantation and the family is reunited in Philadelphia in the end.  It is a really good story and teaches a lot about history.

One part of the story really stood out to me this time.  Addy's brother ran away, was captured, and was beaten severely.  Addy is visibly distraught, sobbing and screaming, but her parents show little to no emotion.  Later on in their cabin as her parents are cleaning her brother's back, Addy accuses her parents of not caring because they showed no physical signs.

According to the story, Addy's father calls her to him, lifts her head, wipes away her tears and says,  "Just because you don't see us crying or carrying on don't mean we don't care. Don't mean we ain't crying either."

It reminded me very much of this passage:

"O Lord, how many are my foes!
Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul,
there is no salvation for him in God.
But you, O LORD, are a shield about me,
my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the Lord,
and he answered me from his holy hill.
I lay down and slept;
I woke again, for the Lord sustained me."
Psalm 3:1-5

Though it may appear at times that the Lord does not see my heartache or care about my suffering, He is the lifter of my head.  He will wipe away every tear.  And according to 1 Peter 5:7, He cares for me.

So, just because I can't see Him crying or carrying on, does not mean He doesn't care.  He cares more than I can ever know.

And when He lifts my head, I see His face.

Oh the glory!

It brings me to tears, of the good kind.

I see His face in the midst of my trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment