Psalm 18:1-2

I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:1-2


Sunday, December 2, 2012

Advent

Advent, the coming, the arrival, begins the fourth Sunday before Christmas.  A time of preparation for and celebration of the coming of Christ.


Growing up, we always had an Advent wreath in church. Each Sunday of the season a family would read selected Scripture before lighting the specified candle in the wreath.  Sometimes there were Advent devotional books produced by the church. At home, there was an Advent calendar, made by my mom, that hung in our living room, and each day we would pull off the corresponding number and see what picture lay behind. We have one even now hanging in our living room, made by my mom and me. All the girls have one. 

Such wonderful memories.

So what memories am I making for my children concerning Advent?  Am I teaching them to prepare for the coming Messiah?  Does our Advent calendar count down the days toward Christmas presents or the birth of Christ?

Am I truly conveying the wait, that time between the promise of His arrival, and the fulfillment of that promise?


Do I even understand the agony of that wait?

And the joy that was in the morning?



With His arrival, we, you and I, have hope.

The hope.

Our only hope.

I want my children to anticipate the coming of Christ MORE than the opening of presents. 

We say He is the greatest gift of all, but do we celebrate like it?

And am I teaching my children to?


"And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord."
Luke 2:10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment