Psalm 18:1-2

I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:1-2


Monday, December 10, 2012

Competition

Does anyone else have children that are extremely competitive, especially with one another?

Anyone?

No?

Well, we do.  They get it from their dad.  Yeah, that's it.  They get it from him, all him.

I mean, my daughter is so competitive that tonight when we were dipping pretzels she would take the pretzel right off my fork.  The pretzel I already dipped mind you.  Apparently, I dipped more than her.  She even asked me to stop for a while so she could catch up.  I told her several times that it was not a competition, but I am pretty sure that just made her dip faster.

This competitive streak especially shines during the school hours.

But, why?  Why such competition? They are in the same family.  They are supposed to be working towards the same goal.  They are both loved by Hubs and I.  There is nothing to compete for; no prize, no trophy.  Nothing.  I know it is natural, and to a degree even healthy. 

It makes me wonder, though.  When do we grow out of it?  As Christians?

When do we stop trying to compete with each other?  For the bigger, better church?  For the desirable positions?  For our Father's love?

We are all in the same family.  We should be working towards the same goal.  We are all loved by our Father.

And, to a degree, is it healthy even now?

Is it?

Or is it just sibling rivalry?

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" 1 Cor. 12:13

No comments:

Post a Comment