Psalm 18:1-2

I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:1-2


Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Words

We took a walk today.  It was beautiful weather outside and we were having a great time.  Until, the sibling rivalry kicked in.  Oh yes, that constant battle between brother and sister. 

'I am faster.' ' No, you're not!'  'Yes I am!' 'Well I'm stronger!' 'No you're not!' 'yes I am'

Constant arguing and bickering.

Phil. 2:14 "Do all things without complaining or arguing."

So, when it began in the middle of the road while on our walk, I did the unthinkable.  First, I asked them to stop. See that is my way of being polite.  My mom would always ask my sisters and I to do things, when what she really meant was 'DO IT!'  She was just being polite.

No go.  The battle continued.  So, I TOLD them to stop.

That should do it right?  I mean, I actually told them, not asked them, so there you go. Right?

Ummm, no.  Still going at it.

Now comes the unthinkable part - I spanked them.  Right there on the road.  I know, terrible isn't  it? 

Anyway, what ensued was a wonderful and applicable discussion of the 'punishing' aspect of discipline, or training up.  I asked my son if he heard me ask them to stop, and he did.  I asked if he heard me TELL them to stop, and he did.  Then, I asked if either one of them had listened and obeyed my words.  He answered that they did not. 

'So, if you do not obey my words, then what can I do to get your attention so that you do obey?'

Hmm.  I wonder how many times the Lord has asked me the same question.

"Jesus answered him, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him." John 14:23

" For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." Hebrews 12:6

No comments:

Post a Comment