Psalm 18:1-2

I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:1-2


Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Thankful Heart

"giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ," Ephesians 5:20

"give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Th. 5:18

Last week we celebrated Thanksgiving, with food, lots of food, family, laughter, shopping, hugs, and lots of fun.  We had a wonderful week.

In the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, the kids and I did some extra reading on the Pilgrims and their journey to the new world.  We learned about the reasons they left, what they were hoping for, the struggles they endured on the Mayflower, and then in Plymouth colony that first winter.  Did you know that only 4 married women survived through the first winter? Wow. The Pilgrims suffered through harsh weather, harsh shipmates, bitter cold, lack of supplies, too many days at sea, sickness, disease, and hunger.  Things we only read about.


So, when the fall harvest came in, and they looked upon their bounty, and praised the Lord for His blessings, they truly had a thankful heart.  Sometimes, it is the hardships that bring the most gratitude.  But we are to give thanks for all things and in all circumstances.  Bad, and good.  Hard, and easy. 

Let us not forget to give thanks always, not just on Thanksgiving.  Let us consistently look upon the Lord's blessings and His bounty in our lives and praise His Holy name.

Father, let me always have a thankful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment